Alfalfa fed beef and grain-fed beef aren’t the same. When it comes to choosing beef for your meals, you might have heard about terms like “Alfalfa fed beef” and “Grain-fed.” At Barreras Family Farm in Omaha, Nebraska, they take pride in offering both options, allowing customers to select beef that suits their preferences. In this article, we will delve into the differences between Alfalfa-fed and Grain-fed beef, helping you make an informed choice.
Sweeter and Lower Fat Options
At Barreras Family Farm, a portion of their Hereford and Angus-crossed cattle enjoy a diet primarily consisting of Alfalfa before harvest. This practice has several distinct characteristics:
- Sweeter Flavor: Alfalfa-fed beef is known for its sweeter, more delicate flavor. The cattle’s diet of legumes and grasses, including Alfalfa, imparts a unique taste profile to the meat.
- Lower Fat Content: If you prefer leaner beef, Alfalfa-fed is the way to go. It typically contains less fat, with a ratio of 90% lean meat to 10% fat. This makes it a healthier choice for those looking to reduce their fat intake.
- No Chemicals or Hormones: Barreras Family Farm takes great care to ensure their cattle are raised naturally. The pastures are never sprayed with chemicals or fertilizers, and the cattle are not given antibiotics or hormones, aligning with their commitment to humane and sustainable practices.
- Born and Raised in One Location: The farm’s cattle are born and raised in one location, ensuring consistent quality and allowing for close monitoring of their well-being throughout their lives.
Traditional Taste and Standard Marbeling
On the other hand, Barreras Family Farm also offers Milo/Grain-finished beef, which presents a more traditional taste and standard marbling:
- Traditional Flavor: Grain-fed beef has a more familiar and traditional flavor that many people enjoy. It offers a balance of meatiness and juiciness.
- Standard Marbling: Grain-fed beef typically has a marbling ratio of 80% lean meat to 20% fat. This extra fat content contributes to its rich and succulent taste.
- Same Commitment to Quality: Despite the difference in diet, the farm maintains its commitment to quality and ethical practices. There are no chemicals, hormones, corn, or soy in the cattle’s diet, and they are raised sustainably and without the use of pesticides or herbicides.
- Federally Inspected and Labeled: Both Alfalfa-fed and Grain-fed beef from Barreras Family Farm are federally inspected and labeled, assuring customers of the highest standards of safety and quality.
Hormone and Antibiotic Free
Barreras Family Farm in Omaha, Nebraska, provides consumers with a choice between Alfalfa-fed beef and Grain-fed beef, each with its unique characteristics and flavors. Whether you prefer the sweeter, leaner taste of Alfalfa-fed beef or the traditional richness of Grain-fed beef, you can be confident that the farm’s commitment to quality, humane treatment, and sustainability remains unwavering. Whichever option you choose, you’ll be enjoying beef that is hormone-free, antibiotic-free, grass-fed, and raised with care from birth to plate. It’s a true taste of Nebraska’s finest. Shop online or visit the Barreras beef store in Omaha.